Public Health Dentistry
The department trains the undergraduate students in assessment of oral health needs of people and improving dental health of population through health education programs, dental screening camps and other outreach programs.
This department focuses on the following domains; identifying the determinants of health, health promotion and education, evidence based dental practice, communication skills and bioethics.
The department is equipped with 16 Dental chairs and other equipment.It provides comprehensive dental treatment services to the patients ranging from preventive services to the tertiary care under one roof. The Dental museum displays, posters and models meant for dental health awareness and education of general public.
- The department has a well-equipped mobile dental bus with two fully functional dental chairs with all attachments, generator and A.C. with seating capacity for 15 doctors.
- The Department regulates two Satellite Clinic at Sangalwadi and Turchi-fata with well-equipped dental chairs.
- Department organizes regular dental check-up camps at rural sectors, schools and slum areas.
- Department co-ordinates with various NSS activities.
- Department supports the research activities by providing various in-house services to UG, PG students and faculty members such as statistical consultancy and publication assistance.
- Preventive procedures such as topical fluoride and sealant applications
- Tobacco cessation counselling
- Oral cancer screening
- Restorative and endodontic procedures
- Dental Extractions
- Oral prophylaxis
Research and Publications
Research and Publications:
- Ongoing research :- 5
- Total number of papers published :- 42
- Workshop on “Oral Cancer Screening” for undergraduate students (July 2016).
- College annual festival “Celefiesta 2k17” (February 2017).
- Workshop on “Literature Search Techniques” for postgraduate students and faculty members (August 2017).
- Workshop on “Evidence Based Dental Practice” for undergraduate students (December 2017).
- Dr.UmeshWadgave received a scholarship for the PG Diploma in Bioethics course 2017.
|Dr. Umesh Wadgave |
|Dr. Mahesh Khairnar |
|Dr. Vijaya Bhilave |
|Dr. Sayali Nejkar |
Successfully completed National Board Dental Examinations, USA (NBDE) Part I and Part II.
"Faculty of Public Health Dentistry left no stone unturned in teaching the theoretical as well as practical aspects of the subject. Scientific interactions in the department helped us to understand the implementation of the subject in the day to day life. I am sure that everyone will agree to the fact that they have taught us well beyond the confines the curriculum to shape us into responsible Doctors of future."
Currently pursuing Preceptorship in Clinical Oral Medicine at Rutgers University-Newark, New Jersey, USA.
"Public health department provided me a platform for rendering a holistic care to the patients from preventive care to the tertiary treatment. My experience with the department was not limited to just books as we had a vast exposure to the community oral health needs through the various outreach activities."
Currently she is working as an intern dietician in VLCC, Koregaon park Centre, Pune, Maharashtra
"The Public Health Dentistry Department is a gem when it comes to guiding the students with the basic health and hygiene techniques of dentistry as well as spreading awareness amongst general people with the help of periodically held camps. The faculty will guide you through all your inhibitions and will make sure that by the time you are out of the department, you are confident not just theoretically but also practically."
"My training at this department changed my negative opinion towards public health dentistry. Lectures and clinical sessions were interesting, interactive and practically oriented. Needless to say, this department is actually fun, quite contrary to being mundane."